Geography Field Studies - Key Stage 4The Isle of Wight is the ideal place to prepare for the Controlled Assessment required by all exam boards.
The experienced tutors at the Centre will enable the students to compile a portfolio of all the stages of the fieldwork investigation, including choosing the methodology, data collection and presentation of results.
All field study sites are within a 40 minute drive from the Centre, or within walking distance.
We offer three, four or five day courses.
- A 3 day (2 nights) field study course will prepare students for the Controlled Assessment
- A 4 day (3 nights) field study course will include a day focussing on Geographical skills before the preparation for the Controlled Assessment
- A 5 day (4 nights) field study course will include the Geographical skills focus, preparation for the Controlled Assessment and a case study to enrich the students' understanding of an additional core topic in the syllabus
The details of the fieldwork programme will be prepared in close liaison with each Geography Department to ensure that the pre-field course research and preparation is well designed.
There will be opportunities during the course for each student to compile a portfolio of data collection techniques, data processing and presentation techniques based on the fieldwork.
AQAPreparation for the controlled assessment for topics from any of the following Specification Units can be undertaken during a field course:
- Challenge of weather and climate
- Changing rural environments
- Changing urban environments
- Living world
- Population change
- Rocks, resources and scenery
- The coastal zone
- Water on the land
EdexcelPreparation for the controlled assessment for topics from any of the following themes can be undertaken during a field course at the Centre:
- Countryside/Rural areas
- Urban areas
OCR BA programme of fieldwork for Unit B562 Geographical Enquiry.
Students will compile a portfolio of skills and techniques for the task that includes a fieldwork investigation, to prepare thoroughly for the controlled assessment.
- Each course will include GIS using the AEGIS software with the OS Mastermap.
- The location and content of the fieldwork programme will be tailored to meet the specific requirements of each Geography department.
- The Island offers a range of safe and accessible locations for coastal and river investigations set in stunning scenery.
- The villages and tourist resorts provide ideal locations for investigations on the population and settlement theme.